Welcome to the 9th edition of the Money Hackers Carnival. The name of this carnival is normally the “Money Hacks” carnival, but I modified it a bit this week to fit the my “Hacker” theme.
First up we have my all time favourite hacker from the “Nightmare on Elm Street” series – Freddy Krueger.
Best Hackers (Editor’s picks)
- Not The Jet Set gives some excellent directions on building your own rain barrel. It has got detailed instructions, pictures and everything.
- Chief Family Officer has some good alternatives to buying lottery tickets. I’ve always been a fan of buying tickets for smaller draws where your odds are much better than a lottery.
- Paid Twice offers some suggestions for your economic stimulus check.
- Blueprint For Prosperity makes an excellent case for a 30 year mortgage over a 15 year mortgage.
- Squawkfox says that free stuff is for the birds. Usually “free” stuff has a big catch!
Next up is a hacker who also likes to play hockey – Jason! You know him from the “Friday the 13th” movies.
- Moolanomy has some great tips for college students to keep their spending under control.
- Can I Get Rich On A Salary is not going to listen to the “rich” when deciding whether to invest in real estate.
- My Dollar Plan had a timely post on online backup services. I’ve looked for something like this in the past but never took the plunge.
- The Personal Financier talks about saving $3000 in one hour.
- Free Money Finance says you should budget by year, not by month.
- Finance Gets Personal explains how being chronically late costs her money.
- Master Your Card writes about the new credit card “bill of rights” proposed by Barrack Obama.
- Debt Free Revolution explains why you don’t get your EPA fuel economy MPG.
- Mrs. Nespy’s world has a list of items that you should only buy new.
Halloween is a really fun time of year for me, especially because I can watch Michael (no relation) do his thing on the tube.
Best ghosts and goblins
- Sound Money Matters has some advice for reducing prescription drug costs.
- The Money Kings urges you to go out and buy a GPS today!
- Single Guy Money set up a special savings account to save for a couple of special luxuries. Maybe you can comment and try to talk him out of the $359 sunglasses he wants.
- Help My Cash Grow writes that retirement is not for everyone.
- Northern Cheapskate wonders if Upromise is worth it?
- Know The Ledge says to stay the course with your investments.
- Cash Money Life wants to know if it’s better to get a tax refund or owe money?
- Millionaire Money Habits has some ideas about how kids can make money.
- Prime Time Money has the connections for free razor samples.
- Free From Broke talks about their new cell phone plan.
- Save and conquer says that turning off the furnace pilot light can save you $75 per year. Bring on the caviar!
I know what you posted about last week!
Best fish stories
- The Family CEO says she makes extra money on eBay.
- My Daily Dollars shows how to get wedding invitations for half the cost. Inviting half as many guests is my suggestion.
- Fire Finance covers some basic energy saving tips.
- Financial tips has some frugal grocery shopping tips.
- Financial zip shows the way to financial independence.
- Joshua Lien has plenty of shopping tips to save you money.
- The Shark Investor writes about passive investing vs. growing assets.
- Greener Pastures like to dream about her trust fund.
- KC Lau thinks he can identify the hot stocks of tomorrow.
Thanks a lot to all the contributors of this carnival!